Herdsman Lake is a very good spot to see ducks. Besides musk ducks which I wrote about in an earlier post, there are also Hardheads, Pink-eared Ducks, Blue-billed Ducks, Grey Teals, Black Ducks, Australasian Shovelers, Australian Wood Ducks, and Freckled Ducks. Below are the ones that I have managed to photographed so far:
1. Australasian shovelers (Anas rhynchotis) - a filter feeder, who uses special grooves along the edges of the bill to filter insects, crustaceans and various aquatic plants. The more colorful one is the male.
2. Australian shelducks (Tadorna tadornoides) - the one with a white eye ring is a female.
3. Australian wood ducks (Chenonetta jubata) - the one with a paler head and with two white lines, above and below the eye, is the female.
4. Pacific black duck (Anas superciliosa)
5. Blue-billed duck (Oxyura australis) - the one with a blue bill is the male; the female has a brown bill.
6. A hybrid duck
I couldn't find any information on this duck but fellow blogger Denis Wilson believed that it is a crossbreed - "... is a crossbred domestic duck - possibly part Mallard and part something else - not the usual cross with the local wild Black Duck."
Photos taken: 19/9/09-3/10/09
Birds in Backyards
Guide to the Wildlife of the Perth Region