Saturday, September 12, 2009

Birds at Burswood Park

Burswood Park is about 3 km from the Perth city centre. I have been there a few times when I went for my bike rides. The park's website says that more than 40 types of birdlife can be found there. I guess the lakes there must be a big attraction for the birds. And what's more, the park is located on the Swan River.




The black swan (Cynus atratus)! Well, Perth is their city.
A black swan always reminds me of a contortionist : )
Interestingly, I also found one which had been banded. That got me thinking - how many black swans in the city carry metal bands around their legs? I saw a banded black swan at Lake Monger too (see this post).


A young silver gull (Larus novaehollandiae)
Adult silver gulls have red beaks and legs.
The juveniles have black beaks and brown legs.


Eurasian coot (Fulica atra)


Little egret (Egretta garzetta) - the two ribbon-like head plumes indicate that it is now breeding season for the bird.


A female Australasian darter (Anhinga novaehollandiae)

For birdwatching, Burswood Park is definitely worth another visit. After all, I have seen a few other birds species during this visit, which I couldn't photograph because they were too far away for my little camera to get some good shots. I saw a yellow-billed spoonbill (Platalea flavipes) and I saw it fighting for food with the little egret. I also saw some blue-billed ducks (Oxyura australis), purple swamphens (Porphyrio porphyrio bellus) and dusky morrhens ( Gallinula tenebrosa).

References:
Birds in Backyards - Silver Gull
Wikipedia - Silver gull
Burswood Park website
Birds in Backyards - Little Egret
Guide to the wildlife of the Perth region

No comments: